Monday, November 19, 2012

Introduction

The Burtons: Dexter, Mindy, Perry, Vinny

In a Nut Shell

My name is Mindy. People ask me why I chose to go to beauty school. I don't have a simple answer.
I was born and raised in Mapleton Utah. I was taught to appreciate art and music. I started playing piano when i was three, cello when i was eight, and self taught myself guitar when I was fourteen. I also loved photography and took art classes for many years. I grew up loving to write; journaling, short stories, and poems.
I went to Utah State in 2006 as a journalism major, with a photography minor. I loved my first year of college, yet I started wondering what I really wanted to do. I loved watching fashion t.v. shows, especially when photoshoots were involved. I started thinking about how cool it would be to be able to do hair, makeup, and be a photographer. I was also about to lose my boyfriend, Perry, for two years.
When I moved back to Provo I started looking into schools. I visited three or four schools, and found Paul Mitchell to be the most appealing for me.

School Begins

I enrolled in September of 2007. I found I had a nack for it. I remember about 3 months in I finally got it! My teachers commented how good I was at balancing my haircuts, and think objectively at such a beginning stage. I got involved with the design team and student council. I started working as a Phase 2 studen at 800 hours ( most people don't get the opportunity until 1000). I was able to participate in photoshoots and events involving fashion shows. I loved the people I worked with, but after 2000 hours, one is ready to kick beauty school to the curb.
My education did not stop at Paul Mitchell. I worked with Tamu Smith of Interactions Salon. I assisted her and became educated with ethnic hair styling.
As some people warned me, I needed a break from doing hair. I worked out of my home for over a year. That break was so good for me. When i decided it was time for me to start really getting back into hair, I found the Hidden Clipper Salon.

Where I am now

I transfered to BYU, I was dating and soon to be engaged to Perry, and I lived right next to the salon. I thought it would be fun to get a part time job.
A new education began in 2009. I was able to work with Kavita (king) Daniels and Kathryn Smart. These ladies had been in the industry for 7 and 10 years. It was humbling. I cried a lot. But I was so grateful for the newly refined skills.
I have attended continuing education in Vegas the past two years. I was able to go to great classes from wonderful educators in the industry.
I want to continue my knowledge, and sometimes the best way to learn is to teach. I hope the information i provide will be beneficial to fellow stylist, or those wanting to learn a little more about doing hair!

I have been married since 2010. I have two dogs. I am working on getting a business degree, slowly but surely. I work two jobs to support my husband, Perry, while he goes to school.

No comments:

Post a Comment